Tuesday, 19 November 2013

Beyonce, Beaches and Bad football!

Talent Show

So after a lot of preparation the day had finally came for the Ovalle English Talent Show. I was supplied with a suit jacket to look the part and the show was underway, kicked off by a surprise musical performance on rollerskates by Alejandro (a teacher at my school). The kids were great and some were very talented, I do not envy the judges task of deliberating over the winner. After the secondary school acts had performed, it was time for the moment we had all been dreading and we took to the stage for our Macarena, Beyonce Who run the world, Gangnam Style mashup. The crowd went wild and after we got over the initial shock that we were actually up on stage dancing infront of A LOT of people we actually really enjoyed it.




The following day at school I was treated like a superstar, by the teachers and students alike who said that British people normally don´t have rhythm, but I was the exception. Now I was not aware of this national stereotype but felt proud that I had taken a small step for England to combat it.

At this weeks zumba class we decided we were established enough to go to the front of the class so we would have more room to dance. So much zumba politics!  The instructor seemed impressed with my hip shaking abilities (life made). Definitely going to miss our authentic Latino zumba sessions when we leave :(

English Week

So this week most of the schools in the city got together for English week, which was actually more like English day (but let´s not be pedantic). Each school took one student from grades 7-4th to form teams which participated in different stations where they had to prepare a recipe in English, sing Karaoke, or write a speech for Presidency. The kids seemed to have a great time and whilst they were waiting for each station the volunteers were given the role of keeping the kids occupied.

We ran a whole load of games including the British playground classic BULLDOG, even though it may have been banned in pretty much every primary school in England due to it´s tendancy to get violent. Another classic DUCK, DUCK, GOOSE, was given a Chilean twist with LLAMA LLAMA GOAT!

Amidst all the fun minor details seemed to escape my attention and I was unaware of the fact that I was frying in the sun. It was not until that afternoon that I realised the full extent of my sunburn, much to the amusement of my little brother Emiliano who continued to call me TOMATO for the rest of the evening. My host mum had the idea for me to rub cucumber on my face to help reduce the redness. Not sure how effective it was but given the fact I had a full morning of classes the following day, with a lot of unforgiving students I was willing to try anything!



Embedded image permalink

ENGLANDdddddddddddd! 

So England have not played Chile since 1998, but when I was in the country seemed like the appropriate time for a game. Allegiances were definitely split but I stayed true to England (something I would later regret). Me and Emily watched the game at her families house and surrounded by Chileans there was a significant amount of taunting and CHI CHI CHI LE LE LE VIVA CHILE!!! We stayed strong against the threats, and sang the national anthem loud and proud (until I realised Emily did not know the words and felt like the lone Brit in a room of Chileans). My doubts about the game were confirmed less than ten minutes in when Alexis Sanchez scored for Chile, and the taunting became even worse! The piscos were flowing which was about the only thing to lessen the blow when in extra time Sanchez scored another, making it look easy with a non existent England defence. We were forced to eat humble pie and for the next few days were bullied by our Chilean families. Got to agree with them though, we played terribly!



Let´s go to the Beach Beach! 

So in the past two weeks we have made two unsuccessful attempts to go to the beach. The first attempt we were greeted by our first sight of rain since being in Chile, so spent the day baking instead. The second attempt we actually arrived at the beach to the most miserable overcast day, and with the next bus not for four hours we hopped back on and headed to the port city of Coquimbo. Was pretty cool to wander around and we went to a fort where we saw sealions, and the Millenium Cross which had great views over the city.





School 

The time is drawing in for the end of year tests so the kids are definitely bombarded with revision and studying at the minute. Was quite amusing last week that their seemed to be uncharacteristicly low attendance the day Justin Beiber so happenned to be performing in Santiago! This week we had a little cocktail party to award the students who had participated in debates and public speaking from our school and Pucarà. Essentially it was just an excuse to eat lots of cake (Happy days). I got a cool lil pendant from the school as a thanks for me which was really nice! Was invited by one of my students this week to watch their football team play against a fierce opponent in Ovalle. It was a typical girls football game with all the girls crowding round the ball but Santa Maria managed to secure a win! WOOP!



Less than two weeks til I am back in England! Can`t wait to see everyone

Laura xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment