Monday, 7 October 2013

Chillin in Ovalle

Now I can not promise that his entry is full of deserts and adventures but life continues in quiet Ovalle....... 

Celebrations continue

A commune 30 mins away from Ovalle, MontePatria was celebrating its 408th birthday. Now, I am not denying that that is a great age, but 408 seemed to warrant a concert and a range of different food stalls in the Plaza. After waiting for two hours we watched Los Vasquez a Chilean male singing duo who I am told are quite famous. Their music was described as cebolla pop, or onion pop as it is the kind of romantic music that makes you cry. If my grasp of the Spanish language was better perhaps it would have had the desired effect on me. We stayed for a few songs and it was actually nice to watch a concert where the whole audience were not absolutely intoxicated as not a single person was drinking, albeit in true Chilean style there was an abundance of food.


Last week Vivien and Emilys schools were celebrating their anniversary. Which in Chile means a week of competitions, games, dancing and random parties. Mine and Stephanies schools have no such celebrations during our volunteer service so we tagged along to Emilys school fancy dress party, where we definitely felt underdressed as airhostesses (with homemade pillbox hats- thanks Emily) when stood next to a whole range of princesses, superheroes and celebrities. Some of the competitions definitely left us shocked and a tad/ a lot uncorfortable. In the Mr and Miss category there were prizes for best legs, and some of the dance routines involved the kids dancing reggaeton rather suggestively whilst taking off their tops. The audience and the panel of judges, mostly teachers, seemed to enjoy the spectacle but the three of us were definitely left speechless- probably not for the right reasons. On a more positive note it was a good night and nice to see such a good school spirit.

Getting Pisco Crazy

We decided to treat ourselves to a meal out at a Peruvian restaurant in town. They serve ceviche a delicacy with raw fish/seafood with different citruses and seasoning. I would like to say it was very tasty, but the pisco happy hour which preceeded and house cocktail which followed my meal left my memory of the meal a lil hazy. 

Family time 

Still enjoying all the craziness associated with living with a family where neither of you share a common language. I do not think I will be forgiven for showing my host brother Potter Puppet Pals on youtube, with the constant singing of Hermione, DUMBLEDORE which is now in the house. Had a great laugh over dinner time finding out that the new dog they get in December will be called Facu, which sounded dangerously close to F**K U! That is going to be one confused dog "Come Back F**K U"... More bad language was exchanged in my car home from school with 2 non-English speaking teachers, whilst explaining the correct pronunication of I can´t. You can imagine what word follows but the whole ten minute journey home involved 3 teachers repeating the word see you next tuesday, over and over. Hopefully my legacy in Ovalle extends beyond teaching this word to the staff- here´s hoping.  

Too big for Chile and spontaneous ear piercings 

Well the bottoms of my work shoes are starting to wear thin which is worrying considering after scouring every shop in town I cannot find a shoe to fit me, and I am ABSOLUTELY unwilling to buy mens shoes. In the last shop we came to we found some sandals which I can squeeze into. When asking the shop assistants for my size I was merely met with a laughing response, once again confirming if you are relatively tall, Chile is not the place to live. After the shoe drama I decided randomly to get my ears pierced again, not sure how legit the shop was however as the back room was full of interesting phallic looking objects and hmmm shall we say, "different" fancy dress outfits. My doubts about the womens abilities as an ear piercer were confirmed when one side is completely unequal with the other, much to the amusement of my lil bro Emiliano. Not sure how to rectify this situation without my ears looking like a pinboard but we shall see in a few weeks.  

England Wish List
So I feel like I am far enough through the course now to start making a list of things I am craving/miss from England


  •  Weetabix- this one is urgent, it is impossible to even buy an alternative out here and I literally cannot wait for a bowl the second I touch down in England. 
  • Oddly enough I really miss rain. After not seeing it for over two months now I would definitely enjoy a good storm. 
  •  The great people from India never really made it to Ovalle so I am absolutely craving a good Chicken Bhuna with onion bhajis! Will accept all invitations for a curry night the minute I am home. 
  •  It is no secret that I am a MASSIVE Strictly Come Dancing fan- not to mention the fact that this series has THE LEGEND that is MR Chalk from Waterloo Road. SUSAN- clear the SkyPlus Planner!! 
  •  Although I have yet to meet him I already miss this lil chap Alfie.... although it is probly for the best that I am not there in the initial months, as the minute I return I will be teaching you as many bad habbits as possible!
  •  I miss having a long bath with some tunes playing in the background. Just to clarify- I do wash here, but showers everyday are not the same as a long lazy soak.
  • I miss listening to the chart show every Sunday- brings back 88 Old Ashby Memories with expert running commentary on the weeks offerings from Andy Clarke. When I return I will be completely out of touch with good music so if anyone wants to make me a playlist of the last 4 months that would be greatly appreciated! Mucho Gracias! :D 
  • And OF COURSE...  I massively miss all my family and friends. But only 8 weeks til I return and you can help me catch up on some of the things on this wishlist (not the bath of course- that would be weird). 
Until Next Time

Laura xxx

















No comments:

Post a Comment