Thursday, 22 August 2013

1 month down, 3 to go!

1 month down, 3 to go 


Goat Farm



Due to an extended holiday I had the opportunity to visit my families goat farm. The house was no more than a tent as the family are nomadic and move with the goats. When we arrived we saw so many goats being born and hundreds of tiny newborn goats just chilling in the field. We ate goats cheese over a wood fire and ate goat meat for lunch, (which was slightly disconcerting considering the hide of the goat responsible for our tasty meal was hanging outside in eyes view). We played football in the midst of the Andes mountains and were sent out on a mission to find firewood. Was a fab day and felt like an authentic Chilean experience.

Deportation Worries 

It was just my luck that my Chilean identity card was rejected and I spent Friday morning attempting to re-do the process offering more fingerprints and photos to the civil registry. Perhaps the earlier jokes about deportation were too premature, but hopefully this time fingers and thumbprints crossed it works.

Becoming a teacher



After considerable training and observations the time had come to start teaching independently. The classes were fairly simple and were more of an introduction about myself and life in England. I managed to squeeze in a bit of geordie slang, so now I have several students walking round school greeting me with "Areet pet". Most of my classes are teenagers and some as old as 18 which is really strange to try and earn the respect as a teacher when working with students only 3 years younger than me. Nevertheless by the end of my classes I have managed to get even the cooolest of my students replicating Queenies infamous royal wave.

Public Speaking

This week two students from my school are participating in an English public speaking competition, and after round one we are sitting in poll position with 40 points, 5 points clear of our closest rival. I was soooo proud of my student for giving an absolutely faultless performance full of Obamaesque charisma about why Abraham Lincoln was such an influential historical figure. Naturally with the coaching of an ex LufbraMUN chair success was on the cards :P

Elqui Valley 

We decided to go on a little adventure at the weekend and enjoyed time in perhaps the most beautiful scenery in Chile so far. We visited a pisco distillery and enjoyed free samples as well as spending Sunday afternoon on horseback up and down the hills in the valley. I definitely did not wear the right clothing for horseriding but after borrowing the mans chaps and very attractive hat I looked like a legit cowgirl! I was told my horse was not one of his favourites, which was fantastic news, and had a reputation for being very temperamental. He also warned me that I would not need to learn the action to tell the horse to move quicker as it was already a bit of a speed demon. With my lack of horse riding experience and general clumsiness I thought this was a recipe for disaster but I miraculously managed to last the entire excursion without breaking any bones, WIN!.




Highlights


  • Trotting through the hills of Elqui Valley on horseback
  • Succesfully completing my first class
  • Eating the most delicious homemade goats cheese
  • My fantastic students excelling at public speaking 
Interesting Revelations

  • Chileans like to fatten up their gringoes- I´m genuinelly concerned for my health with the abundance of bread, rice and dulce de leche. 
  • You can eat palm tree- at least thats what I thought they said it was with my limited Spanish ability. 

Chao for now! (yes that is used in Chile and is spelt correctly I googled it :P) 

Laura xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment